Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fay is coming

We're waiting to see if our first hurricane is going to hit our home in two days. I imagine that despite the suggestions of the 80s German metal band, it will not in fact, rock us. Mostly I'm worried about wind damage to the scooters. I'm not scared exactly. Just nervous. They're not evacuating or planning to evacuate. Our back yard will probably fill up a few inches with water. It will suck. Some vegetation will get blown around making messes that will eventually get cleaned up. But how do we know for sure? Just have to wait and see.

But there are aggravations. I'm sick. Maybe. I went to an academic conference last week and didn't feel right but I thought it was just leftover airsickness combined with being at altitude making me feel not quite right. But I've been back for three days and it lingers. It's a strange mix of symptoms that keep alternating. How can I protect us from hurricanes if I feel dookie?

And on top of that now some pipe in the bathroom is leaking through the ceiling. Gonna be hard enough to get the landlord over here to fix it with the hurricane coming but I don't really like the idea that we could be without a bathroom for a couple of days while he tears up floors and ceilings trying to find out where the problem is.

I just want to watch Olympics and wait for the last few days before school starts so I can stop procrastinating about getting my syllabuses* ready.

*I just learned that syllabi may not be the plural of syllabus. Rather that technically no plural of the word is technically correct. Learning all the time. Even while waiting for Faye to wash us off the face of the earth.

3 comments:

Creamy B said...

Hey! I found your blog! Does that mean I win something? Money perhaps?!

-Chelsea

PS: I live in Melbourne, and Fay wasn't too bad. Everything is pretty flooded, but the sun finally came out for the first time in like four days! I don't think it will be as bad when it hits you guys.

Professor Matthew said...

I'm mostly wondering how bored you had to have been to spend the time to look for it.

And if it wasn't boredom, how you found it otherwise.

Creamy B said...

Although I am bored most of the time on the internet, I wasn't looking for it, I just sorta stumbled into it! I follow Stephanie (from video gaming) on Twitter and she follows your wife. I don't think she updates Twitter, but she does have a link to her blog which has a link to yours. I'm a master of the information superhighway.