Friday, August 24, 2007

Working a theme

In light of our lack of male songs, and songs in general, we went to a karaoke night at a local watering hole. It is a cool place, has cider and many other favorites on tap. It even sells scotch eggs as a bar snack. The local vintage motorcyclists use it as a gathering place. If you know or feel similar to how we do, all of this sounds promising so far, doesn't it?

Until you see the group there to sing. It was quite the collection of regulars primarily. Now, to be fair, they could sing. But they weren't really the sort of people that we're likely to socialize with even with the power of the Roke to bind us. I can't prove it, but I think the KJ (that's Karaoke Jockey) was line jumping his friends and favorites. That and the selection was large but not diverse.

To begin with, we got stuck with the titles book not the artists list. And who decides on a song for karaoke with the titles list? You look for the artist you like and then see if they have the song by the artist you want to sing. Most of the songs we like to sing were not on the list.

Christine got lucky and did a Blondie's song she's good at but I went with Cheap Trick and did a lousy job. I sang "I want you to want me" and I'm much better at "Surrender". And the mix seemed weird so that didn't help. I even got heckled by someone. Luckily he didn't decide to respond to the gesture I made to him to show my appreciation for his criticism. It was bad enough, it didn't need an altercation adding to the fun.

I ended the evening with a bag of Krystal's. They so wish they were White Castle. And they ran out of chili for my chili cheese fries. Damn them, damn them straight to hell.

1 comment:

Christine Wy said...

It's true, the pub karaoke sucked in its own special way. The regulars really were good singers, but people who arrived after us sang before us even though we'd already turned in our song requests.

And the song selection? Bad. Or, not our cup of tea, I guess. It was all popular, obvious tunes without any of the songs we like. They didn't even have the duet "Jackson" that we like to do, and everyone has that song.

Oh, I think we could both ramble on about the experience for ages.