Tuesday, August 14, 2007

You moved here from where?

We moved half way across the country a couple of weeks ago. I will write a post on it soon. If I can get my memories and thoughts organized on it into something worth reading in one sitting. In fact it was doing the move that convinced me to finally start a blog of my own. But I try to think about it in my head and it gets all jumbled and I realize there are so many details and tangents so I put it off for another day.

In the meantime, while I’m still in the honeymoon phase on our new place, I want to point out one major advantage to living in a small town instead of Chicago where we just moved from. Here it’s not a production to go someplace. Almost everything in this county is something like 30 minutes away. Everything in Chicago was effort.

Almost no one came to our “big” going away bash. [We did have a smaller affair that had limited space and a bigger attendance, but I digress.] A few dedicated friends but that was it. Why? Because everyone already had a million plans. Too many things competing. Some folks thought it was on a different night. Others thought it was too far away. In a small town you tell folks that you’re going out the day before and I bet as many people showed up as showed up to our final event. Cause it’s something to do.

Of course it also could have been nobody showed up because they didn’t really like me, but that isn’t as good for my ego so we won’t even dwell on that.

No comments: