Monday, October 22, 2007

Too smart for my own good

I'm a professor of new media and culture. I started this blog as a test of the technical elements of blogger since I'm having my classes use it. I had to know how to in order to teach it. Now my students may not appreciate this, but the advantage they have is they at least have some sense of the purpose of their blog.

But I'm not so sure about mine. Maybe I'm just overthinking but I can't decide what my goal here should be. Is this some sort of online journal? Should I use it to explore my thoughts on new media similar to what my students are doing? Is it just a dumping ground for random ideas? Is anyone even paying attention other than my wife and one reader in Chicago and two in Kentucky (Hi Monya, Amanda, and Jason by the way)?

I feel like I should try to figure out a purpose otherwise I'm just adding noise to an already overcrowded blogsphere. Did you know that at one point blog tracking site Technorati was reporting that two new blogs were being created every second? That's a lot of noise for anything to get around and through. I think part of this concern is that we're doing the chapters on the failure of the WWW to live up to the sheer volume of hype attached to it.

4 comments:

Christine Wy said...

If you want to write a blog devoted to technocracy and new media, do it somewhere else. If you want to write about whatever on earth is on your mind, do it here, guilt free. Those of us reading don't mind looking into the slice of your brain we may not otherwise have access to.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. There are more of us than you know (at least, when we don't lose your blog address...)

~ Leslie

Anonymous said...

Hi Matthew!

Anonymous said...

there may be someone in minnesota that is curious about what's going on in your life...